11/12/11

Drake Talks Being Called Overly Emotional in GQ Magazine



Mark Anthony Green/GQ

Drake is on a promo run as he gears up for the November 15th release of ‘Take Care’, which leaked 8 days before it was scheduled to hit shelves. He recently sat down with GQ to dish on the beef between Jay-z and his boss Lil Wayne, his feelings on being called an ‘emotional rapper’ and why his videos for ‘Miss Me’ and ‘Fancy’ were never released. He also dished on the type of girls that he likes, what he is looking for in the perfect woman and of course, gives a big ‘f**k you’ to folks that aren’t feeling his ‘Bill Cosby/Cliff Huxtable’ inspired sweaters.

Check out the excerpts:

On if he feels that he’s in a compromising position with the Wayne and Jay-z Beef
I’m just riding with Wayne, always. I’ll never sit here and say that Wayne compromised me. I’m just doing what I got do. I’m a Cash Money soldier. That’s who I ride for. [...] Wayne’s done way more for my career than Jay-Z. Wayne is the reason I’m here.

On his lyrics in the ‘Real Her’
I guess sometimes I feel like I’m laying next to the same woman over and over again. The things that they say, the place they are in their life, the concerns they have about me and my life. I feel like I deal with the same women repetitively. The ones I’m referring to in that song have all f*cked the same rappers. So, yeah, that’s why I say we just met but I think I’ve already met the real her, because I’ve already met you so many times, in different shapes and forms—it all feels familiar.

On His Ideal Girl
Who’s the ideal girl? She is very funny, very supportive, understands that right now I’m trying to build with somebody. The ideal girl is driven, working on something other than modeling or being a singer…

GQ: Or being seen.
Drake: Or being seen! She’s probably in New York to be honest with you. There are a lot of good women in New York.

On thinking some of his projects could have been better
…The videos for “Miss Me” and “Fancy.”I just watched the videos and was like, “What the f*ck are these videos about?” That’s why “Fancy” never came out. It was a weird moment.

On his famous ‘Bill Cosby’ sweaters
I don’t give a f*ck what anybody says about my Missoni sweaters! F*ck you, if you don’t like my sweater! [Editor's note: A middle-aged couple sitting next to us sharply turn their heads.] It’s funny because people only talk about me and sweaters because I don’t give them anything else to talk about. I live in Canada, so any dirt I do you’ll never see because we don’t have the paparazzi up there! It’s the stupidest thing, man, but I’ll embrace it. Hopefully Missoni hollers at me and we get a sweater line popping!

On being considered an emotional rapper
That’s tough. I wish that we lived in a time and a generation where people would stop viewing my honesty as overly emotional. People always act like I spend my life crying in a dark room. I don’t, I’m good. I’m a man. I want to be remembered as an artist that gave you a piece of me, as opposed to some surface bullsh*t. I don’t think people realize that we die, we leave here, and either they forget about you or remember you. And how they remember you is up to you. I just want to be remembered as a poet that was open and honest because I wake up every morning and I’m

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management